What causes the vagus nerve to be overstimulated?
What is the treatment for a vagus nerve disorder?
- After it is determined that the vagus nerve is damaged or disordered, an initial step in treatment is typically nerve therapy, in which the nerve is exposed to electric pulses to regulate nerve signals, according to MD Health. Medication may be necessary to treat the symptoms caused by a vagus nerve disorder.
What are the symptoms of vagus nerve disorder?
- Loss of gag reflex
- Hoarseness,whispering or nasal voice
- Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
- Heart arrhythmia (irregular heart rate)
- Change in blood pressure
- Decreased production of stomach acid
- Esophageal motility disorders (like acid reflux or GERD)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
What causes vagal nerve damage?
- The causes of vagal nerve neuropathy vary. Neuropathy can happen by way of upper respiratory infections or injury. One particular form of vagal nerve neuropathy happens as a result of type 2 diabetes.
Share this Post: